The earth mound behind the fort is believed to date from the Iron Age when promontory forts like this were found here in Jersey, and around the coast of Cornwall.
Even as long ago as the 1st century BC, this bay may have provided a safe anchorage for boats when Jersey lay on the wine route between St.Malo and Hengistbury Head in Dorset.
This deep water inlet has proved attractive to both attackers and defenders in the past.
For example, the French landing of July 1549, when the French, fresh from capturing Sark, landed here and fought a pitched battle with the Jersey Militia on the heights of Jardin D’Olivet.
This is one of nine coastal artillery batteries built around Jersey during the Second World War, work started here in March 1941 using troops from Naval Artillery Battalion 604, assisted under duress, by local labour, supplied by the States’ Department of Labour.
This castle is something of a mystery because it was dismantled piece by piece. Unfortunately there are no records of this happening nor of the castles’s construction.
In the late 1830s, the construction of huge new harbour works along the French coast raised concerns for the British Government, and even more so for people in Jersey. They feared a French invasion and petitioned Queen Victoria. Although the petition was mislaid in Whitehall, a plan to construct ‘a harbour of refuge’ for sailing ships, went ahead.
Created in bronze by Archibald McFarlane-Shannon of Glasgow, and set on a plinth of Ronez diorite, provided by Philippe Baudains himself. Designed by Adolphus Curry, the plinth was cut by the firm of F.T.Carter – Monumental Masons, while the iron work was done by Mr.H.Webber of Aquila Road and painted by Mr.J.Thatcher .
Over 1000 people subscribed to fund this celebration of the five-time elected Constable of St.Helier.