This week I’m dealing with getting youngsters mobile on their own bikes.
As you’d imagine, there are swarms of tiny bikes equipped with stabilisers out there. These quickly let a child get the idea of pedalling and braking without too much adult supervision. While this is fine as a stopgap, eventually kids have to develop their balance.
Continue reading “Balance Bikes”
This deep water inlet has proved attractive to both attackers and defenders in the past.
For example, the French landing of July 1549, when the French, fresh from capturing Sark, landed here and fought a pitched battle with the Jersey Militia on the heights of Jardin D’Olivet.
Continue reading “Bouley Bay”
This is one of nine coastal artillery batteries built around Jersey during the Second World War, work started here in March 1941 using troops from Naval Artillery Battalion 604, assisted under duress, by local labour, supplied by the States’ Department of Labour.
Continue reading “Jersey Occupied – Batterie Lothringen”
This castle is something of a mystery because it was dismantled piece by piece. Unfortunately there are no records of this happening nor of the castles’s construction.
Continue reading “Grosnez Castle – it’s a mystery”
In 1801, Curtis purchased the first of his nurseries at Walworth, and he began to publish a series of horticultural lectures that had been given by his father-in-law; William Curtis. The nursery and the book were a success, and he looked for another garden to develop. This he found at Glazenwood, near Braintree in Essex.
Continue reading “Samuel Curtis – horticulturalist”
In the late 1830s, the construction of huge new harbour works along the French coast raised concerns for the British Government, and even more so for people in Jersey. They feared a French invasion and petitioned Queen Victoria. Although the petition was mislaid in Whitehall, a plan to construct ‘a harbour of refuge’ for sailing ships, went ahead.
Continue reading “St.Catherine’s Breakwater – a harbour of refuge”
Created in bronze by Archibald McFarlane-Shannon of Glasgow, and set on a plinth of Ronez diorite, provided by Philippe Baudains himself. Designed by Adolphus Curry, the plinth was cut by the firm of F.T.Carter – Monumental Masons, while the iron work was done by Mr.H.Webber of Aquila Road and painted by Mr.J.Thatcher .
Over 1000 people subscribed to fund this celebration of the five-time elected Constable of St.Helier.
Continue reading “Philippe Baudains – Constable of St.Helier”