This was the last of the 23 Jersey Round towers built. It followed Sir Seymour Conway’s original design, despite the English having adopted Martello towers sometime before. It was constructed between 1796- 98.
The earth mound behind the fort is believed to date from the Iron Age when promontory forts like this were found here in Jersey, and around the coast of Cornwall.
This is one of nine coastal artillery batteries built around Jersey during the Second World War, work started here in March 1941 using troops from Naval Artillery Battalion 604, assisted under duress, by local labour, supplied by the States’ Department of Labour.
This castle is something of a mystery because it was dismantled piece by piece. Unfortunately there are no records of this happening nor of the castles’s construction.
In 1801, Curtis purchased the first of his nurseries at Walworth, and he began to publish a series of horticultural lectures that had been given by his father-in-law; William Curtis. The nursery and the book were a success, and he looked for another garden to develop. This he found at Glazenwood, near Braintree in Essex.
In the late 1830s, the construction of huge new harbour works along the French coast raised concerns for the British Government, and even more so for people in Jersey. They feared a French invasion and petitioned Queen Victoria. Although the petition was mislaid in Whitehall, a plan to construct ‘a harbour of refuge’ for sailing ships, went ahead.
At around 11pm, on the night of 5th January, 1781, French troops under the command of Philippe Macquart – The Baron de Rullecourt – were attempting to enter the narrow channel that led to their landing place near Platte Rocque, at La Rocque at Jersey’s south eastern corner.
It was half tide, there was a with a strong current running, and with the gravel banks and jagged rocks of the Violet Bank threatening on one side of their passage, it is not surprising that several ships never discharged their troops.